Unifying 70+ sites and Their Content into a Consolidated Platform
Facts & Figures
- Founded in 1905.
- The National Audubon Society is an American non-profit environmental organization dedicated to conservation of birds and their habitats.
- The National Audubon Society had so many modules that made the web properties vulnerable to security risks and increased upgrade costs.
- Users could accidentally access and edit pages that should have been inaccessible.
- Audits & Technical consultancy
- Web Development
- Enterprise Platform Integration
- Multisite Web Platform
- Enterprise Experience Platforms
- National Audubon Society staff members are now able to update the site with daily content.
- The security of the site has been improved.
- A smoother and more intuitive user experience has been created.
The National Audubon Society had limited access to digital specialists, and they struggled to manage a convoluted site with over 20 custom modules and 100 sub domains. Staff members had difficulty editing and managing content, and since the site lacked proper access-level restrictions, users could accidentally access and edit pages that should have been inaccessible. Having so many modules also made the web properties vulnerable to security risks and increased upgrade costs.
We consolidated the National Audubon Society’s web presence using a new Drupal platform, merging what were originally two sites—the National site and the Audubon Magazine—into a single national site.
Personalized content is an important part of the new solution. Targeted calls to action are featured site wide, with donation engagement cards that match the content that a user is viewing. We added an integration with the Maxmind Geo IP database to provide users with unique content based on the geographical area where the user is logging on from. We also customized an intuitive experience for site administrators, allowing editors to change settings without needing to leave a page.
National Audubon Society staff members are now able to update the site with daily content that encourages new visitors to become active members. Administrative tasks are easier to manage as well, with limited permissions for editors and separate “advanced editor” roles that can override default layouts and build custom pages. We also improved the security of the site by ensuring that the most secure modules are selected and maintained, all while creating a smoother and more intuitive user experience.
FFW was the recipient of the Acquia Partner Site of the Year award for our work on one of Audubon’s internal sites. FFW received the top honor in the Internal Community category for Audubon Works, a site that serves as an online meeting place for Audubon chapters nationwide. The site was recognized for its outstanding visual design, functionality, integration, and overall customer experience.